Get out your popcorn popper and get ready! This is a great recipe, and very flexible if you want to mix and match ingredients.
(Secret tip: I know of a mom who set her popcorn machine on a sheet in the middle of the floor, and then turned on the machine and let the popcorn fly out when it was cooked. The kids of course loved it!)
Tips for Cooking with Kids
I am often fearful to make recipes with kids, but really if I just try it, it is quite simple. Before we start, I find it helpful to . . .
- Make sure the kids know your expectations and rules. Explain to them what they can and cannot do and can and can not touch. Depending on their age, you might even want to go into detail on the why – like they might get sick.
- Have a completely clean countertop, kitchen island or table workplace. If I have papers or items important to me near where they are working, I start to stress. If you have a clean area, you don’t worry or stress about food landing on something that you don’t want it touching!
- Clearly state the plan. How is each child going to help? Think realistically about what a 2 year old will be a good at, before you divvy up the jobs. Let them know what their job is (they love responsibility!).
- Define a set time and place for when everyone will enjoy the fruits of what you are making! For instance, you might say, “after we are finished, children who wash their hands and then sit at the table waiting patiently will be served.”
It’s as simple as that! Now go have some fun!!!
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 15 cups popcorn
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 1 cup broken pretzel pieces
- Boil sugar, butter and corn syrup on the stove. (This step was much more forgiving than I thought it would be! It was not a problem at all, that I had to turn around and help my kids with the popcorn for a minute.)
- Stir into the popcorn, marshmallows, peanuts and pretzels. (I tried stirring but it wasn't for me. I just scooped my hands right down in the big bowl and rolled it all around until the popcorn was covered and sticky!)