Did you know that throughout the year, the National Park Service will waive the entrance fee and offer FREE admission to everyone? You will want to make a note of several national parks close to Lancaster to consider visiting!
These are the fee-free entry dates in 2018:
- January 15: Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- April 21: Weekends of National Park Week
- September 22: National Public Lands Day
- November 11: Veterans Day Weekend
You can learn more about the FREE entry days on the National Parks website.
You might be wondering which parks are local to Pennsylvania, and more specifically, Lancaster County. I was too. So I did a little research.
You can find the parks participating in the program, listed by state, on this webpage. Parks listed on this page waive their entrance fees on nationally designated fee free dates. Please check with each park for operating hours and event schedules.
Here are some parks within 2 hours from Lancaster County:
- Eisenhower National Historic Site, Gettysburg, PA. Normally $5-$7.50/person.
- Independence, Philadelphia. Tickets are always free for Independence Hall, but there is normally a $2-5 charge for the Benjamin Franklin Museum. Admission is always FREE to the bell.
- Harpers Ferry, MD. Harpers Ferry also offers a fee free day around June 8. Normally $10/vehicle.
- Antietam National Battlefield, MD. Normally $5/person or $10/vehicle for a three day pass.
Find all the Pennsylvania museums here. (Many of the Pennsylvania museums always offer free admission, and of course are still free on these special fee-free entry days.)