Lancaster County is definitely the place to live if you love visiting petting zoos. Here is a list of several free petting zoos in the Lancaster County area—some are permanent locations and others are traveling zoos that visit the county every year.
- The Pretzel Hut. The petting zoo is in the woods so it is nice and shaded on hot days, the animals are friendly and good with people, and there are so many different types of animals and areas to explore. There is even access to the Horseshoe Trail if you want to go on a hike after visiting the animals!
- Hayloft Petting Zoo. You enter the petting zoo through a cute little open wooden bridge. You can buy feed in here to feed the animals, or check out the tip we learned below from another petting zoo visitor.
- Record & Burpee’s Petting Zoo. This is a traveling petting zoo that comes to Good’s Stores every year around the same time. It visits both the New Holland and Shaefferstown locations. The zoo is free, but there is a charge to ride the camels and horses.
- Lil Country Store. Located in Strasburg, this is a cute little place in the heart of the Lancaster County tourist area. Its not a complete petting zoo, but what makes it unique is the miniature horses that kids just love to see and pet! Miniature horse-drawn cart rides are available for a fee.
- Eastland Alpacas. Over 120 alpacas live on this farm in the Mount Joy area. What’s neat about this place is their on-site store that has dozens of items made from alpaca fiber. Check their website for special events.
- Oregon Dairy Family Farm Days. This is a special event hosted once a year in June. There are dozens of activities, animals, games, giveaways, free samples and a huge petting zoo tent complete with baby chicks to hold. A must-do event for any child who loves animals! Please note this is a very highly attended event—if you want to avoid the long lines, follow our tips for the best time arrivals.
- Oregon Dairy Playground has goats, a pig and deer, not to mention an amazing playground to enjoy while also visiting the animals! If you’re lucky, you’ll get to see a baby deer being born on your visit like we did last year!
- Long’s Park Petting Farm. Located at Long’s Park there are goats, a pig, llamas and other animals. The lake is also a great place to feed the ducks!
I always love a good map! Here’s a Google Map showing you all the petting zoos in Lancaster County.
Do you know of any other petting zoos in Lancaster County to add to the list? Let us know in the comments below!
You may also want to check out this list of 15 FREE places to go with your kids in Lancaster County.