Years ago, a friend brought this crock pot calico beans to my mom after we moved. Our family fell in love with it immediately and has made it regularly ever since. If you’re looking for a quick and easy meal, the sweet flavors in this bean mix will be a hit for all!
It’s kind of like a sweet twist on chili. In fact, I often like to serve it with cornbread or cornbread muffins, just like I do with chili.
Calico Beans is also a perfect potluck dish, that can feed a crowd on a budget! Make it in the summertime to feed your family a hearty meal without even turning on the hot stove.
- 8 oz cooked bacon, chopped
- 1 to 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (15 ounce) can pork and beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can butter beans (or black beans)
- 1 (15 ounce) can green beans (or 1 cup frozen)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced green or red peppers
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon mustard powder
- Throw everything into the crock pot.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Serve with cornbread or cornbread muffins.
What I love about this recipe is that you can mix and match whatever ingredients you have on hand or to your preference! You can also switch up the beans or take out the ground beef, based on your preference. So many options!