Our family needed a new printer this fall, so my husband did some investigating and research. In his search for the most affordable price and best option for our family, he came across the HP Instant Ink program. As he was telling me about this plan, in which you buy a HP InstantInk Ready printer but you BUY NO INK—EVER, I became intrigued. I used to spend $60 on ink every time I went to replace my ink. Tell me more, please!
What is Instant Ink?
The HP Instant Ink program allows you to sign up for a monthly service plan starting at just $2.99 per month. You pay your subscription rate based on how many pages you think you will be printing. If you print more than the allotted number of pages, you pay per page, but you can also upgrade your plan at any time.
One of the best parts of the Instant Ink program, is that the printer automatically orders your ink for you. No more running out of ink and needing to get to the store quick so you can get your items printed. When your ink is getting low, the printer places an order for you and the replacement ink cartridges are sent to you FREE of charge.
Choosing a Plan
The HP Instant Ink plans start at $2.99 for occasional printing (up to 50 pages per month) and go up to $9.99/month for frequent printing (up to 300 pages per month).
If you print only occasional, definitely choose the $2.99/month plan. You’ll spend just $36 per year and ink is always provided for you. If you have owned an inkjet printer before, you know that you likely spend way more than that on ink per year. For myself, whenever I ran to Staples to buy my ink, I spent $60 on black and white and color cartridges each time.
If you print frequently, you can choose the $4.99/month moderate plan or the $9.99/month frequent plan.
After you sign-up for the HP Instant Ink program, your HP Instant Ink home page will give you a referral link. Share this with your friends and family and for a limited time, you will enjoy 3 FREE months of HP Instant Ink for every friend who signs up. Plus, your friend gets 1 month FREE of service!!
How To Save The Most
I mentioned how my husband does incredible research before he spends any larger amount of money. This time it really paid off! He found a way to get 6 months of FREE ink in the HP InstantInk program! Let me show you how you can get 6 months (1800 printed pages) of FREE ink too! This deal is only good through the end of September so order soon!
- First, you need to have one of these printers. We chose the HP OfficeJet Pro 8740, because we found an incredible Amazon Warehouse Deal, however you can order a smaller printer for as little as $49.99! If you haven’t heard of Amazon Warehouse Deals, let me know if you want to learn more and it will convince my husband to write a post for us on how to save on there. He knows some amazing secrets!
- Your new printer comes with 3 months of FREE ink when you buy it. You will get a code in the box when you receive your printer and be asked to enter it in the HP Instant Ink website when you register your printer in the program.
- Choose the 300 pages per month plan. Even if you don’t print this much, you can downgrade at any time after the promo is over. You might as well get your 300 pages per month FREE! (And any pages you do not print DO ROLL OVER to the next month! However they do cap at 300 pages, so you can’t roll them over again the next month.)
- When you register your printer, add the Promo Code SCHOOL2.
- Add a second promo code j7Hd6, to get an additional month FREE. That is my refer a friend code. You can use any refer-a-friend code to get that extra month free.
That gives you a total of 6 months for FREE!!
If you order the $49.99 HP Deskjet 2655 All-In-One Printer you’ll pay less than $50 for a printer and ink for 6 months (or 1800 pages). You can’t find a better deal than that!
And no worries, if you already have one of those printers you can use the last two promo codes mentioned above and still get 3 months free.
Tracking Your Printing
I was worried that I might print over 300 pages after we received our printer. If I’m told I can print 300 pages for FREE, I don’t hold back! I had a lot of homeschool papers to print for the year, so I knew I needed to be careful. Printing over my 300 pages is still cheaper than going to a copy shop but I didn’t want to spend more than I had to.
Which is why I was thrilled to discover how incredibly simple it was to track the pages I was printing. I could just log in to the HP Instant Ink site and within about 20 seconds, it would update and show me exactly how many pages I’ve printed this month.
Yes, the rollover pages on the right, means that you can roll over any plan pages from the month before that you did not use. However, you can only roll them over once. You can’t keep rolling them over and have more than 300 rolled over. But I still love that if I have a month where I am away or don’t print as much, I can use those extra 100 pages the next month. I plan to do this for months like December when I’ll be printing extra Christmas letters!
Other Tricks to Saving
- Sign up for the 300 page plan. Always sign up for this plan to start because you’ll want to get as many pages free as you can for the first 6 months of your free trial. After your free trial months are over, you can then knock it down to the $2.99/month plan to save money.
- Keep your old inkjet printer, if its still working. At least until you run out of ink for it. We did this and now I use it to print pages that don’t use a lot of ink so I don’t go over my plan pages for the month.
- Use your Instant Ink printer to print full and high coverage pages, if you have a secondary printer for backup. Since I get charged per page, not by how much ink I use, I always print any photos or pages that have a lot of color on them with my Instant Ink printer. I’m not paying for that ink, so let’s use it!
Remember, if you want get the 6 months (1800 printed pages) of FREE ink too, just follow the steps above. This deal is only good through the end of September so order your Instant Ink Ready Printer soon!!!!