Last year my husband and I treated ourselves and took ballroom dancing lessons with some friends! Yes, you read it right. We took dancing lessons in Lancaster County—and we had the time of our lives. Well, honestly, some of it felt like marriage counseling, but really, it was soooo much fun!
And we learned so much. Not only about dancing, and how to dance well with someone else, but tips and secrets on where you can dance for fun and cheap in Lancaster County!
Our classes were held at the Lampeter-Strasburg YMCA. Our instructors were Sally & George Winchell, and they were the best instructors we could have asked for. You could tell they absolutely loved dancing and teaching dancing, whether it was swing, salsa, ballroom, fox trot, waltz, cha-cha or rumba.
Here are seven open dance nights and classes for dance lovers (and beginners) in Lancaster County!
1. Friday Dance in Lancaster. West Coast Swing lesson and general dancing until 11pm. Cost is $10 per person, light refreshments are provided. Held at Lancaster Tennis and Yacht Club, Columbia Ave, Lancaster at 7pm.
2. Lancaster Swing Dance. Held every Saturday at 7pm at the Living Hope Community Church, 2923 Columbia Ave, Lancaster. Admission is $10.
3. Indigo Blues. A favorite with local dance communities and dancers from all over the region. Dances are held on the First Friday of most months throughout the year at 9pm. Check the Facebook group for updates. Cost is $5 per person. Held at the Iris Club, Duke Street, Lancaster.
4. Lancaster Red Rose Chapter USA Dance. Held at Living Hope Community Church, 2823 Columbia Avenue, Lancaster. Check Facebook on the website for updates and notifications on dance schedule. The chapter dance is the second Sunday of the month. Admission includes a dance lesson at 3pm and open dancing from 4-7pm. Singles and couples of all dance levels are welcome. No partner is needed. Cost is $10 for members, $14 for guests and $5 for students.
5. York White Rose Chapter USA Dance. Held at Alert Fire Hall 3118 N. George Street, Emigsville, PA, on Friday evenings (check website for full schedule). Cost is $8 for members and $12 for guests. Waltz is from 7-8pm and Dancing with DJ Mike Kelley is from 8pm-11pm.
6. Harrisburg Chapter USA Dance. Dances are Sunday evenings, check their schedule online. Held at PA DanceSport 585 East Main Street, Hummelstown, PA (behind Sheetz and Gold’s Gym). Cost is $8 for members and $12 for guests. The Cha Cha is from 3-4pm and Dancing with DJ Deb Eppley is from 4-7pm.
7. Ballroom on the Square. Dance classes are shown on their online schedule and are $10 per person. Private lessons are also available to be arranged. Set up your own group class with your family, friends or colleagues and get to know more about each other on the dance floor! They teach you in an exciting way and will even cater your party. Held at 355 West Chestnut Street – 3rd Floor, Lancaster, PA 17603.
Sally and George are always teaching classes throughout the county and are open to offering classes for your group, in your area if you want to organize a class too! You can reach them at email@example.com or 717.509.1342 x246.
According to Sally, if you are looking for the best deals on quality dance shoes, you’ll want to check out the Dance Shoes Store. Get your shoes in one day and it’s FREE SHIPPING!